Saturday, September 6, 2008

Metal Clay

Not everyone who reads these posts knows what metal clay is.  So, over the course of the next few days I  will briefly introduce this amazing medium.   Metal clay is made of recycled fine silver particles which are suspended in a clay like binder. When the clay piece is dry, it is fired in a kiln where the clay binder burns off.  What is left behind is 99.9% fine silver.   It is made in the form of lump clay, paper clay, syringe clay and paste.  Regular ceramic techniques are used to form the lump clay.  After firing, the finished silver can be worked using traditional silver techniques.  Metal clay pieces often resemble pieces made by casting and all four forms can be combined into one piece.  The ceramic shard piece and Life for Lynn, shown in earlier posts was made using the lump form.  Here are some other pieces made using the lump clay.  

1 comment:

Kim Lukasiak said...

I love this ring! In fact I wear it often. Everytime I see it it makes me think of my favorite hs teacher/ mentor/ second mom! I finally took a minute to check out your blog, I think it's great! I miss you, life has been crazy since Tennessee... we got the house! I've been "painting" for 10 weeks, not the painting I want to do either. Love-Kim