Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Chemical solution



More examples from my color workshop. My first examples involved chemistry and these involve chemicals.

I was familiar with Liver of Sulphur (not sure about the spelling of sulphur though.) We worked with it in my one and only jewelry class in college. (Remember the jewelry teacher with eyes that didn't go above the neck?) Back then it seemed to be blacker. (Probably just my imagination. Tangerines use to taste better back then too. Sorry, I'm rambling.)

Anyway, here are two pieces that have color created by chemical means. LOS goes through a range of colors before it turns black. Colors can range from orange/gold, blue, purple and green. LOS was used on the fine silver piece.

On the copper clad piece, I used Baldwin's patina. I could also have used Jax, both of which turn the copper green. (The piece here is greener than it looks.)

2 comments:

Joann Wheeler said...

That top one has a definite oil slick look about it, Ally! You know, the rainbows that form on the surface of oil? That could be your Oil Region look!

Alice Walkowski said...

Interesting observation Joann. I never thought of that. You're right!