Sunday, September 12, 2010

Addendum to Graffiti Gallery Post


The grand opening of the Graffiti Gallery was so successful that we were all still flying high Saturday morning. It was a great time.

I mentioned the efforts of Swan and Tom, but they were not the only forces behind the success of this show. I feel it is worth mentioning some of the others who were responsible (although I don't know the names of everyone involved and I do apologize if I misspell some names.)

The Gallery is on the ground level of the National Transit Annex building. The room was in much need of repair and cleaning, so right from the start it took lots of volunteers. Volunteers with elbow grease, time and some with monetary donations. The ceiling needed to be fixed, lights needed to be installed (along with some electrical work), the walls needed attention and the floor needed to be stripped and varnished. (Since I was not part of this process, I'm sure there are things I'm missing or am stating incorrectly. Please feel free to add information.)

People that I do know who contributed to the success of the Gallery are Joann Wheeler who is instrumental in everything going on in the arts in Oil City. Dr. Robert DeShong who not only donated his time and energy ( Maureen left her footprint on his freshly painted step) but donated the lights (I think it was the lights .... I know he donated something.) Annisa Gage who set up the beautiful food display in the back room (along with Joann who helped cut up the veggies.) I remember seeing Lee Mehlberger on a ladder in the gallery and I know he offered many hours in there. There were many, many, many more who should be noted for all the contributions they made, but I don't know who they are. So sorry that I can't mention you too, but kudos to you just the same.

The people who brought in their Butch Quinn works should also be commended for sharing their pieces with everyone; Kay Woods and Bill Hadley to name a couple.

The exhibit will be open on Fridays and Saturdays, 11:00-7:00 until October 22nd. Well worth a trip to Oil City. (Stop in the National Transit Studios while you are there. You may see some artists working in their studios.)

2 comments:

Joann Wheeler said...

Thanks for all the well-deserved kudos, Ally -- Butch Quinn art work came in on loan from the OCAC, Cynthia Moon, Sam Breene, and John Boyle, too. Bob DeShong, of the Oil City Civic Center, contributed almost all the construction materials needed to refurbish the space, as well as paid skilled labor! Lee Mehlburger, also on the board of the Civic Center, helped install the lights -- but the lights themselves were bought with the proceeds from last year's All Souls Celebration. So thanks, OC, for lighting up the place -- in more ways than one!

And, of course, stay tuned for this year's All Soul's celebration at the end of October!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]YVLBfqwofTrWKoa[/url] - ROmLMgZcUY - http://yuxeflk.com