Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Knowing what has to be done

Many of my high school students put so much effort into not doing something.  Often, it would have been easier if they just did it, got it out of the way and moved onto something they did want to do.

That's exactly how I feel with a couple of different necklaces that I'm working on.  I want to be finished with them but I know I need to make a matching clasp.  Instead of just getting down to business I keep looking at some of my ready made clasps, thinking there has to be one that will work.  There isn't.  I know what has to be done and now I just need to do it.


Often, I feel that I need to design a piece of clothing to be worn with some of my pieces.  Like that is going to happen.  

Actually it did once, back in college when I designed a body ornament using silver, ebony and a very large agate.   I did make a floor length velvet dress in a color that picked up one of the colors in the agate.  Didn't have anywhere to wear such an outfit though.  (Still don't.)  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, except in reverse!

I tried to stockpile a few hand-made bronze and copper clasps as I was making new pieces. (I know you know this, since you commented on a a post I made about a few of them.) Except, for me, it's the clasps that are sitting there....

I have a handful of "focal beads" sitting there, waiting to be finished. Several have what should be truly minor problems that need just a quick fix, except for the re-fire times involved for copper, bronze, and steel.... Once I've gotten to that, then I'll have a place to use the clasps.

Too bad you're not closer: we might swap and both finish more pieces!