Sunday, June 17, 2012

"Turn Around"

My second entry to the Junk Art Show is titled "Turn Around."  The theme of this piece is grandchildren.  Now, I'll just mention right from the start that I don't consider this piece finished.

My method of working seems to be.... get an idea, begin working, change my mind, work some more, decide that "it's" not working, set aside and live with it for awhile until the piece tells me what's missing.  Sometimes this "tell me what you need stage" lasts a few days or occasionally it's been a few years.  When I started this piece I had three days.  (There's that procrastinator in me again!)

I suspect the idea began forming on the day that I attended my Granddaughter's kindergarten program, followed by rushing home to attend my Grandson's preschool program.  During both of these programs there was a slide presentation showing all the little ones through the previous year.  Of course the slide shows were accompanied by music that reminded us to enjoy them now because they grow so fast.

For this piece, I went in search of junk to use.  (Unlike the previous piece which just jumped out at me.)  Since I did a major cleaning out earlier in the year, there wasn't much for me to choose from.  In looking around the grandchildren's game room I noticed all the puzzle pieces which they'd outgrown.  (Sniff, sniff.)  So, that was my starting point.

At first I was going to use the puzzle pieces as is, but decided instead to paint them.   (Although there are a couple that are the original color.)  Pink for the granddaughter and blue for the grandsons.  I put in quite a few hours, arranging and rearranging the pieces (stressing about it as I knew time was running out.)  There are painted-on puzzle shapes that bend around the canvas to the edges and actual pieces glued on to the edges.

Besides the puzzle pieces is a handless clock face (trying to stop the clock..... to no avail) and puzzle shapes cut out of sheet music.  Here is where only "oldies" like me might get the title "Turn around."
The song was written by Malvina Reynolds, Allen Greene and Harry Belfonte and was a hit for the Kingston Trio in 1964.  (I'm including the lyrics for anyone not familiar with it.)


"Turn Around"  Puzzle pieces, acrylic paint, sheet music, watch face
"6 x 6"

I liked the idea, but didn't really feel the piece was successful.  So..... after the show, I will live with it and see if I can figure out the direction it wants to go.

"Turn Around" as written by Malvina Reynolds.


Where are you going, my little one, little one,
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two,
Turn around and you're four,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.
Where are you going, my little one, little one,
Little dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone?2
Turn around and you're tiny,
Turn around and you're grown,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.


No comments: