Friday, April 10, 2009

Got Rocks in my head

    I stopped in the Appalachian Rock Shop on Route 19, north of Pittsburgh yesterday.  Haven't been there for a while.  Not sure why, as it is such a neat place for geology and art lovers.  They carry lots of Geodes, fossils and gems; along with finished pieces of jewelry.  And, they offer classes in silversmithing, beading and wire wrapping.  (And, if you are a dog lover, have two adorable dogs!)

    My daughter and I have taken a couple of beading classes there, (probably nine years ago.)  The class was fun and I learned some things I use with my metal clay pieces.  One thing I remember when taking the class was how little I knew about rocks and stones.  (I did take a geology class in college and did very well.  But, like my silver fabrication class, that was so, so long ago that I don't remember much. Except that if you bite sandstone it will be gritty and don't build your house downhill from the neighbor's outhouse.)  Anyway, during those classes the other ladies were all talking stones and they could tell just by looking at it what kind of stone it was.  I felt very stupid and tried to crack some kind of joke about the stones in my driveway, but they didn't see the humor in it.  

     Now that I'm into jewelry it is probably a good idea to get to know what certain stones and gems look like and what their properties are.  (There is just so much darn stuff to know!)  So, I bought myself "The Crystal Bible" which will be my new bathroom read.  (Sorry to share that with you, but that is my favorite reading spot.)   Did you see the Seinfeld show where they wouldn't take back George's library book because it had been read in the bathroom?  Funny show.  Guess I'll have to keep my new book.  

   Hopefully this book will make me more knowledgeable.  For now, any stone I don't know I usually classify as a jasper.  I can't even remember which stones my CZs are representing.  Now that is sad.

No comments: