Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Balling silver


Linda Kline had a really neat method of combining two metal clay pieces to make them move. This was one of the techniques that she showed us during the Earring Extravaganza at Arrowmont this past April and I finally got around to giving it a try.

The two pieces are joined by attaching them together with a curved piece of wire that is balled up on both ends. The ball joint not only serves a function but also becomes an aesthetic piece of the design.

Now Linda probably told us some pointers on how to ball up wire. I'm almost positive she did, but as I've mentioned before the mind some how forgets those little items. So, once again I had a "learning experience" as I like to keep reminding myself. (Gosh, nothing ever seems to go easy!)

Here is what I learned. Fine silver wire balls up much easier than sterling silver. (Don't know about Argentium.) Fine silver wire will not ball up if the wire is not held perpendicular to the flame of the torch. And, the hottest part of the flame is just in front of the blue part.

I also learned that my perception of the angle I was holding the wire was off and that it helps to set the torch on the base when doing the balling. That way it is easier to see the angle, it is easier to see that the end of the wire is indeed in the flame and it sure saves a lot of time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI, Argentium sterling wire balls up very easily too, with none of the hassle you have with regular sterling silver. But Argentium forms an ever-so-slightly teardrop shape, close to but not as perfectly round as does fine silver (held correctly...). In a headpin, that difference is rarely visible; in other situations where it might show, I just know to plan for it when I want the "sturdier" Argentium wire.

And in one way, I find this difference to be useful: I can look at a little piece I balled up, laid down, forgot about, and found later on, and tell if it was made from fine silver or Argentium wire by looking closely at the ball. Not that this would ever happen you you, of course. ;-)

Alice Walkowski said...

Of course that would never happen to me. I don't do such things.... (Right!)