Friday, September 11, 2009

Save the silverware


Antique silverware makes beautiful jewelry. Mina Cavanaugh from Arizona makes antique silverware jewelry and her pieces are gorgeous. They are so shiny and striking. Mina says many of the silverware pieces are black when she gets them but she loves the buffing and the polishing process. (Not me!!) I had the pleasure of teaching Mina about metal clay so that she can add another dimension to her jewelry making.

Mina brought some of her pieces with her to class and allowed me to make molds of some of the silverware pieces. (She had some very nice patterns on her pieces.) I made about three or four molds of some of my favorite patterns. I also discovered a silverware bracelet in one of my books by Irina Meich (I think that is the spelling. I'm writing this at 3:00 in the morning and my book is in the bedroom where my husband is sound asleep...... lucky him!) So, voila I didn't even have to figure out how to make one of the bracelets. The directions were right there. (Don't you love it when the planning work is all done for you?) Although I did have to adjust the overall size of the bracelet. (I have small wrists....... the only thing small on me.)

The molded pieces are draped over a bracelet mandrel (which I happen to have because of my big cuff class at Arrowmont.) The bracelet was easy to make and no silverware was injured in the process.

No comments: