Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Matching sets?


Personally I don't wear matching sets of jewelry. Just a quirk of mine I guess, but I feel like it's just too much. Well, I sort of wear matching sets. I'll wear a bracelet that matches my earrings, but not a necklace. Not sure why that is.

Actually I kind of like things that are similar, but not matching. I once had a pair of earrings that didn't match (on purpose.) I was told though not to try to sell those kind of earrings (at least not in Florida.)

My brother in law once asked me if I made pieces to match. So, I made a necklace, earrings and bracelet out of a beautiful blue stone (got a mental block about learning my stones) that had a nice weight to it and just felt good in the hand. There was no metal clay involved, just stringing the pieces and adding some sterling silver beads. The set sold all right..... to three different people. Haven't made a three piece set since.

Anyway, the gist of this post is to take a poll to find out if people like sets. Please take a minute and share your opinion.

3 comments:

Zoe Nelson said...

Great poll! I've always wondered about this. I have customers ask "do you have earrings to match" and I wonder if it's worth it to intentionally make sets. I'll be keeping an eye on your results.

Unknown said...

Well, I do wear sets occasionally, but I can't answer the survey because none of your options fit: I just don't myself wear earrings.

I do like artists who offer clearly complementary pieces but don't restrict purchases to pre-defined sets. You may like some particular mix (among earring, pendant, pin, bracelet, ring, etc.) but the buyer may prefer a different one. I've walked away from some artists whose work I really liked when I had to choose earrings + bracelet or earrings + pendant, yet what I wanted was bracelet + pendant. (One extra pair of earrings I might give someone as a gift, but two? No way!)

One of my favorite approaches is to buy a couple different pieces from an artist I like (together, or at different times), where I am not going for perfect matches, but am choosing pieces that are clearly "from the same imagination"!

I have occasionally bought earrings that I just loved and were suitable for this modification: turn one into a pendant, and the other into a lapel pin (which I like to wear on a suit jacket). I may wear one or the other, or both. When I wear both, is such a "set" different from a "pair" of earrings?

With or without a pair of earrings in the mix (is that one "piece"? or two?), I do prefer wearing a set that limits the number of matching or similar pieces. Any two doesn't seem like overdoing it to me: it's a clear statement that the wearer likes that style, that artist, etc. More than two, however, seems kind of distracting to me: if they're all basically the same, there's no place for a viewer's eyes / mind to rest. Or is that just my mind?

Alice Walkowski said...

No Carol, it's not just your mind. Now that you've brought it up, I think that is my mind too. More than two is too much.