Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's not about the money


Don't get me wrong..... I do like money! No question about it, but sometimes it's not about the money.

This past weekend I set up a table at the country store in Foxburg. They were having their 5th Annual Fall Festival. Since I make the logo jewelry for them, they invited me to show my work in the store during the festival. (Thank goodness as it was a cold, cold weekend. People were coming in with red noses!)

Only made a couple of sales, but I wasn't disappointed as I didn't expect to make many sales. What I did make was lots of contacts. The seven hours actually went very quickly as I met lots of new people and shared information about metal clay. (Remember I'm trained as an educator and not a business woman.) Lots of people took my business card and all the class schedules I brought were gone.

In a couple of weeks, I'm setting up a table at a Taste Of Home Show. There will be 1,000 women there who will have a couple of hours to kill before the show. Again, the venue probably won't be conducive to buying as the main focus for the evening is cooking. But I couldn't pass up the chance to make that many contacts. (Still though, the sponsors had to pry that check out of my hands. For a small business it was a large sum to pay. But I knew if I didn't do it, I would regret it. Sigh!)

I'll keep telling myself it's not about the money. It's about getting yourself out there and getting your business known. (Hopefully someday the money will follow.!)

1 comment:

heatherandlola said...

Your table looks great. I'm so proud of you - wish I lived closer so that I could be part of everything. You're so lucky to be doing something you love. Don't worry - the money will follow someday! Hopefully sooner than later:)

Love you!
Heather