Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nicknames

My oldest grandson went to the studio with me on Saturday. We just went up to organize some orders. (I know not to try to make anything when the grandchildren are there.) There was another motive too as his parents and in-laws were painting the front room in preparation for the laying of a new carpet. I figured that one less little one underfoot would help out somewhat.

On our way home my grandson was talking about nicknames. (Not sure where that came from but he was interested.) He was trying to come up with a name for himself and mostly he was Tyler the artistic, or Tyler the winner. Since he is my little artist, I suggested Arty.

From there we started talking about other people's nicknames. He knows his Grandpa as Butch and never realized that was a nickname. His Dad's nickname was Scooter since he scooted up and down the rocks on our trip out West in '85.

My nickname was given to me by my Uncle because I was such a klutz and had lots of bruises. He called me Allybumps, which my cousins shortened to Ally. (One of my boy cousins gave it a different meaning when I was a teenager. I could have just smacked him!)

For years the only people who called me Ally were my cousins and Aunts (who called me AllyMae.) But with the creation of my jewelry business, I'm called Ally a lot. Funny how life circles around.

The bumps and bruises circled around too. The four year old grandson is always getting injured and showing me his booboos. Then I show him my booboos. I call him the booboo kid and he calls me the booboo Grandma.

Ah, the Circle of Life!



No comments: