As was mentioned in an earlier post, my latest dichroic glass piece cracked. My thought is that I wrapped the metal clay around the glass too tightly. I should have left a little space around the glass to account for the shrinkage. I also mentioned to my students that they could cut a hole in the backing behind the glass (which I forgot to do!) The reason for cutting the hole was to use less clay and to let light through. I do believe the hole also gave the glass a place to go when it was molten, since mine was the only one that cracked. (Everyone else had a hole.) Oh well, another learning experience. At least the crack was in such a place that is isn't at all noticeable.
The second piece was a glass cab I made with frit at the Glass Blower's Center in Hilliards, Pa. I thought I'd try it with metal clay. The piece was wrapped with a coil first and then fired to test it. The glass came through the first firing with very little change. So...... I attached it to an already fired piece, thinking it would be fine. For some reason it changed color (like the beach glass does) and I think it got some devitrification (there is a cloudy spot.) Funny though, for this particular design the cloudy green spot seems to fit. Now I've got to find a chain that also works with it.
The last photo is Phil's finished piece. He decided to add a patina to it. Hard to believe that this was Phil's first piece.