Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time to panic

A long time ago when I tried downhill skiing, I had my first experience with a panic attack. I didn't know how to ski very well, (actually I had just learned to ski earlier in the day). When I jumped off the lift, I headed the wrong direction to "THE WALL", a hill with about a 90 degree drop. For the first time in my life, my legs would not move. I was frozen with fear. (I don't remember how I got out of that predicament but obviously my husband was able to redirect me.)

On Sunday it happened again. This time I was sitting in my car, ready to go pick up a friend for the Guild's play day. When I turned the car on, the doors automatically locked (as they always do); then the battery died. I knew what the problem was, so I popped the trunk and prepared to exit the car. The door would not open. The buttons to open the window did not work (of course.) The horn didn't work. The moon roof wouldn't open. I started to panic (and discovered that I'm somewhat claustrophobic.) I tried yelling and banging the dash (of course to no avail...... I couldn't be heard over the TV my husband was planted in front of.) The panicking feeling was getting stronger and it was getting harder to breath. I was sure I was going to die in there. I kept pushing all sorts of buttons to no avail. Finally I remembered that my cell phone was in my purse. Thank God.

I called my husband and told him I needed help. He said Okayyyyy.... where are you? In the garage! (He was relieved he didn't have to leave the house.)

So I was saved from my ordeal. In hind sight I could have unlocked the door manually with one of the buttons. (I have practiced since.) But the panic clouded my logical thought processes.

(My husband can't wait to tell people. He's got another one to add to his "guess what my wife did" stories.)

An experience for a piece of art? Maybe!!

No comments: