Monday, July 19, 2010

Oil Heritage Festival

The Oil Heritage Festival starts this Thursday, July 22 and runs until Sunday, July 25. This is the 32nd year for the festival which includes a parade, concerts, a car show, 5K race, art shows and an artisan craft fair. To find out more information, check out www.oilheritagefestival.com.

The festival has an adult art show and a children's art show which is held in the National Transit Building and the Transit Annex. I saw both shows tonight and they are worth the visit. (My seven year old grandson won a second place ribbon for his drawing "Grandma's Fruit Bowl.")

There has always been an arts and crafts fair at the festival. This time they are trying a fine art and fine craft show. It's hard to make changes and the fair is a big change from the past. Instead of a one day fair, it is one and a half days (this coming Friday and Saturday.) And, the kind of art vendors (for the most part) will be different. It will take time to grow.

The new "Graffiti Gallery" will also open this Friday. This is a co-op gallery and the National Transit Artists are the first to show their work. The gallery is street level on Seneca St.

This will also be my first show. I bought a tent (boy did I buy a tent) and I'm stressing out about how to set it up to best show off my work. Only three days left to get things together. The bad thing is that they are calling for rain this weekend which is not good for turnout or for the artists in their tents. (I was at the Three Rivers Festival as a spectator and saw what a bad storm can do.) Hopefully the rains stay away (like they did this past weekend.)

I'm not expecting big things this weekend. Instead I am looking at it as another learning experience (but hoping for the best.)

If you're in Oil City this weekend, stop by my tent and say hi!


No comments: