Tuesday, August 10, 2010

hot, Hot, HOT!

My studio has been around for two years now. The first year was a fairly warm summer and I melted up there. (Second floor studios are like that.)

Last summer wasn't much of a summer. (Only had the central air at the house on twice.) My studio was very comfortable and air conditioning wasn't needed.

Not so this year. Wow. It is so stinking hot. I've got three fans going in the studio and as few lights on as possible. (Should have bought the portable air conditioner I saw at Ollies. Can't find one now at that price.) Today was the first time that I decided not to go to the studio because of the heat. I have two orders to fire (a two hour firing), but I'll wait until next week. Hopefully it will cool off. I opted to work with the copper and bronze clay at home in the air conditioning.

I took a nap instead!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about HOT! Plus, it's humid, my hands are sweating all over the clay, and somehow it's still drying out fast?

I look forward to seeing your copper & bronze results! I love the "feel" of those clays as I work, but I'm still reserving judgment over (a) the firing issues and (b) designing to account for their various "colors."

Zoe Nelson said...

I know what you mean! I don't have A/C either. I'm thinking of moving the kiln outside. Hope you cool off soon!