Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time to think smaller


The price of silver has skyrocketed lately and so has the price of metal clay. Of course the increase has affected the cost of making jewelry. That is one reason many metal clay artists are turning to cheaper metals like bronze and copper. For me though (as I've said in earlier posts) I'm not sure it's worth it because those clays are more work (in handling and firing. At least my experiences have been that way.)

So..... what does that mean for me? I can find alternative materials to create with (which isn't a bad idea. It will take me out of my comfort zone.) Or..... I can work smaller (which will also be a challenge for me as I tend to work big. My attempts at working smaller still look rather large to me.)

I think I have seven packages of PMC3 left. Time to set a challenge for myself to see how much I can get out of them before I have to give in and order more.

The picture is an older piece; a bracelet for Foxburg. I thought I needed a picture (and since I haven't made anything lately thought this would work. I hope to have new pieces soon...... after I finish my birdhouse!

No comments: