Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why do we keep our studios?

I was in Florida for six weeks and have been home for two. Every time I'm away for any extended length of time it takes me weeks to get back into the swing of things. (I know that's just the way it is..... but I don't like it.)

Before I left I was in a very big "Simplifying" movement. (That's what I call cleaning and de-cluttering.) Since I've been back I can't even remember where I kept my hair dryer. (Finally remembered yesterday.) And that's only one of the things I seem to have "forgotten" while I was gone. It is slowly coming back but has really added to the funk I'm in right now. (This weather isn't helping either.......cloudy, very windy and rainy.)

Another thing that has added to the funk is finances. Being away for so long hasn't helped my finances one bit as I had to pay rent ahead for two months. At the same time I wasn't making any money while I was gone. And the price of silver has sky rocketed. (Making the supply fee for an upcoming class promblematic.)

I've been to the studio three times since I've been back. The only thing I've accomplished is cleaning, decorating and staring at my birdhouse (which still isn't done.)

Which brings me to the subject of this post (sorry it took me so long to get to it.) Why do we keep our studios? This was the topic of discussion the other day when I was in my studio (not getting any work done but did get some visiting done.) This month I will pay rent out of my personal account (which thankfully I haven't had to do very often.)

So why do we do it? No one at the studios is getting rich from our endeavors. We are mostly just making enough to pay the bills each month. But, when we are here (and not in a funk) we have a place where we can work uninterrupted; no dryer to empty or dinner to get started. The studio is a place where we can spread out and not have to clean up after each session. (I have teaching space for six and use it all for myself!) It's a place where our focus is making art. That's what it's for and when we walk through that door, that's our intent. (Usually!) We are not making art in a void (as we would be at home.) There is a sharing of opinions (along with tools and materials) which keeps us on our toes and challenges us. (That's what guilds do too.)
Having a studio gives a sense of validity to our efforts and brings new friends into our lives. (No one ever visited my bedroom studio.)

Yesterday and today I could have stayed in my Pj's and bathrobe all day. (In fact I did just that today.) But this evening, I finally got some of my Florida stuff put away, five loads of laundry done, paper shredded and cleaning done...... so maybe I'm finally coming out of my funk. (I certainly hope so...... there is much to do at the studio.) And I have to make some money.

In just two weeks, I go to Arrowmont for the PMC Retreat. Hopefully that will jumpstart me too. (It will certainly jumpstart this Blog!)

2 comments:

Zoe Nelson said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I was going to the retreat. Arrowmont is so close to me. But, alas, the financial situation prohibits me from going. Have fun, and I want to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

Orientation & focus: absolutely! Those are two big things my studio offers.

It doesn't necessarily make me super-efficient. That is, there are times when I just clean the place, do bookkeeping, browse blogs, give impromptu demos, etc., rather than actually make art. But I'm still focused on related activities (i.e., not distracted by laundry, dinner, garden, etc.) that I figure do pay off somehow.

Because then there are those days when I go to the studio, get to work, and simply don't think about anything else for hours upon hours (usually until I realize I've been ignoring hunger pangs). That's when the good stuff emerges, when the studio pays for itself.

Have a great time at Arrowmont: Come back inspired, and ready to create!