Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The jury is finally deliberating

The containers of copper clay were two different shades of red
Clay pieces contain both copper and bronze clay
Larger piece is by Virginia Weltner

Years ago there were only two brands of clay and two kinds of clay, silver and gold.  Now there are a myriad of companies making the clay.  Copper, bronze, white bronze, rose bronze, steel and pearl gray steel clays have been added to the family of metals available.

In several previous posts, I have mentioned how the jury was still out on these base metal clays.  Well, the jury has finally gone to deliberation on at least the copper and bronze clays.

In March my local guild, the Western Pennsylvania Metal Clay chapter of the PMC Guild, in conjunction with the Cleveland Metal Clay Guild, brought Hadar Jacobson to the area for a class.  Unfortunately (well actually it was a mixed feeling about missing the class),  I was not able to make it to the class as I was in Florida at the time.  (Sunshine, blue skies and warm temperatures eased my pain of not being able to take the class.)

Hadar's clay comes in powdered form instead of as a mixed lump of clay which means it has unlimited shelf life (unlike the other clays.)   This past week I finally was able to "play" with her copper and bronze clays.  I think I'm in love.  They mix up so smoothly and feel much silkier (and less stiff) than the other base metal clays.

In the past, firing issues kept me from working with the clays more.  My "test piece" this week fired up beautifully.  Hopefully it works the second time when I fire the actual pieces.  I'll let you know.

No comments: