Thursday, January 31, 2013

As the Disney song says

It's a small, small world (and it is.)

I use to tell people that I lived in a little town north of Pittsburgh, figuring they would at least be familiar with Pittsburgh. But ever since an experience I had at the Rose Bowl in California (where the guy had never been to Pittsburgh..... only Dempsytown and Oil City where I taught) I now proudly say where I'm from.



Today we had that experience again.  For the past week we've been at Disney World (sadly tomorrow is our last day.)  As we were riding the bus back to our resort (to take an afternoon nap...... we ain't what we use to be) we struck up a conversation with a young couple and their children.  When they asked where we were from, our friends said..... "A little town north of Pittsburgh."  Then he decided to say Oil City and their mouths dropped open.  The wife was from Oil City.  They still had family there and that's where they were married.  My friends knew their relatives and the wife's brother is married to the sister of one of my friends.

I actually had the wife as a student when I taught elementary art.  I did remember her after she said her name.  (They have a way of changing from when I had them in elementary school.)

The vacation is over and it's back to work.  I have several commissions to work on and a silhouette machine to master so come back often to see how that's going.  It's time to get back on track with the metal clay posts.  (But vacation was fun while it lasted and Disney World is amazing.)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! Oh, where did January go?!

Though we've had different diversions, we both need to get back on the metal clay track. I look forward to reading what you'll be doing.