Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Magic of the Trunk

It's been awhile since I taught a class in metal clay, but today that changed.  It was a small intro class..... only two but sometimes those are the nicest ones.


"Hey!  Are you taking my picture?
(That's my friend Helen with the surprised face.)


Both of them were a little hesitant about their skills but as you can see by their finished pieces they didn't need to worry at all.


Helen made earrings and a charm to be finished as an anklet.


Jennifer started with a basic charm, surrounded it with a coil and added three cubic zirconia as an embellishment.


During the creation process it is often common for students to  dislike their pieces.   I've seen this from my high school students.  Holly Gage warns her students that pieces go through an "ugly" stage and not to judge the piece too quickly. 

I think some of this comes from knowing every little flaw and the struggle to make the piece look like their mental vision.   It influences how the piece is perceived.  I use to tell my high school students to put their work away for awhile and not look at it for several days. 

Helen said she had a painting teacher who told them if they didn't like their paintings,  put it in a trunk and leave it for a few days.  She called this "The Magic of the Trunk."  More often than not, it looks much different after you haven't seen it for a few days.    





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like everyone had a good time!

As much as I understand the appeal of make-and-take workshops, I also think there is a huge "magic of the trunk" effect in metal clay classes if one gives student pieces a good kiln-firing and tumbling after the session.

Especially beginners. When they see their work again all bright and shiny after a few days they are usually delighted with the results. Much less critical than they were at the end of the making-session.

"Magic of the kiln-as-trunk"?

Alice Walkowski said...

LOL. Good thought...... Magic of the Kiln. I agree.