As usual this time of year I get into a funk. I've just spent several months in Florida and developed a new routine. Then I come home and it takes a while to get back into the old routine. Plus it was 27 here this morning and 68 there. Need I say more?
Anyway, I tried to get somethings done around the house before I went to the studio. I straightened up, put things away, swept and dusted......... Then my husband decided that now was a good time to put in a new tub. So........ now I am straightening up every day, putting things away every day, sweeping every day and re-dusting.... everyday. So...... I've decided that now is the time to get back to the studio and get out of the house while this remodeling is going on. I can keep my sanity better if I only have to deal with the aftermath
I volunteered to donate a piece for the Tionesta Art Auction and to make a piece for the silent auction. The theme this year is the Zodiac and since I am a Pisces, it just seemed logical for me to do that particular sign. Needless to say, I knew about this since back in early March(?) but procrastinated until the week it was due. (Oh how working under pressure drives us.)
My original thought was to do a necklace with the two fish we usually associate with that sign. I used a Koi fish texture plate for the back of the piece and cut it out in a water droplet shape. (Clever, Eh?) Then I used a texture plate that had native American style fish for my two fish. (Didn't think of it at the time but Tionesta has a rich Indian heritage.) The original design didn't have the aquamarine in it (that was an afterthought.) Here is a picture of the piece before firing as I envisioned it.
I really liked the look of this and planned to put a hidden bail on the back. Then I decided to add the stone............ that's when things started to change. Once I added the stone it looked like an "eye." I tried to ignore the eye. But it wouldn't go away. All I could see was this eye which looked like the eye of a bigger fish. As much as I tried not to think about it, I knew I had to put a tail on this bigger fish. It was no longer elegant (what I was aiming for) but now became whimsical. (Which is okay. I guess my jewelry this time wanted whimsy.)
This is a picture of the finished fish. (But not the finished piece for the auction.)
Oh how he changed.
Stop back tomorrow for the trials and tribulations of finishing the piece for the auction.