Friday, May 29, 2009

Swarovski melt


    I've added another new charm to my education bracelet, (actually three more which I'll share over the next few days.)  Two of the techniques I learned at the Arrowmont retreat.  The Senior Instructor from South Africa, (sorry I can't remember her name.) showed us this.  It only takes a few seconds and can add a spark of color to your metal clay creations.

   Drill a hole in the piece you want to decorate (of course it is easiest to do in the dry clay before firing.)  Also, make sure the hole is fairly large.  (This helps the crystal to melt down into the hole better.)  After the piece is fired and cooled, position the crystal on the hole.  I used a 4 mm crystal bead.  (Metal backed swarovski beads and AB swarovski beads are not good for this technique.)  Using a torch, begin heating the area around the crystal and over the crystal until it begins to turn orange and balls up.   That's it.  That's all there is to it.  How cool is that? 

   My charm has held up (which for me was a test of the strength since a bracelet gets lots of pounding.)  I did not tumble this piece as I liked the white inside the dish shape.   I also tried it in a by-pass ring I made but the holes were too small for the bigger crystal to melt down into.  It might have worked if I had used a smaller crystal. 

  

 

No comments: