Friday, July 24, 2009

"The fingers can feel......."


The fingers can feel what the eyes can't see. I heard this along the way from someone in my metal clay journey. (Can't remember who.)

This is so true, especially for us old folks. For me the worst part of growing old is not being able to see as well. I don't like driving after dark, I can't read the fine print, and I can't see what I'm doing in metal clay without my dorky visor. It's downright annoying. The hubby gets mad at me because I can't see where the golf ball landed. (If I would hit it straight, it wouldn't be as big of a problem.) I even lose sight of the little arrow on the computer screen and have to drag it to the corner to find it.

So, when I'm working with the clay it definitely is important to run the hands and fingers over the piece (somewhat like a blind person.) The fingers can feel an unwanted bump or rough spot and smooth it before it goes into the kiln. (Much easier to do before.... than after.) And, if it is sharp now, it will be sharper later.

The picture is of my oldest grandson wearing my visor. (He thinks it's cool!) He looks cute it in...... I don't!

No comments: