Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cleaning House



The process of making jewelry isn't always a straight road of designing and finishing a piece. Instead it is often a zig-zag process. (At least my approach is a zig-zag process.)

As I said in an earlier post, I do have a sketchbook full of ideas but most of my creative process is intuitive. (I design as I go, which is not the most economical method.) So, this method lends itself to lots of unfinished pieces. My goal this month has been to not open one more package of clay until I use up some of those pieces.

The little dove was punched out of a doubled piece of metal clay sheet. I didn't realize that it was not a solid piece on the back, but I liked the negative shape that showed up. When the dove was torch fired, little bumps showed up on it which interestingly were positioned well. I think there must have been a gap between the layers which is why it puffed up. I had a massive stone bead (don't ask me what kind of stone it was) that I glued it to. I named this piece "Wounded Dove". He's been through the war and survived.

The other piece was a water droplet, (actually there were three of them.) I tried several variations where I strung them on a chain, but that didn't work. Not only am I trying to use up fired pieces, but I'm also trying to reduce my inventory of beads. So, the turquoise bead and the water drop were a simple solution to achieving that end. The other two droplets became earrings to match the pendant.

No comments: