Monday, December 10, 2012

I'm not buying a Chicken!

My second oldest grandson (who is seven) likes Pokemon, plays on his DS, wants Grandpa to set up a box wall so he can crash his go-cart into it (that's another story) and in general does what all little boys do.  But for some reason his brain comes up with all sorts of unusual ideas.  (For many of his questions I have no answer.)

Sometimes it seems like he is the easiest to buy for.  (And since I'm sure he doesn't read my blog, I'm going to go global and tell you one of the things he is getting for Christmas.)

Last year for Christmas I bought him a coffee table art book about Andy Goldsworthy, Andy Goldsworthy, a Collaboration with Nature.  He is a British artist who does temporal sculptural installations with natural materials.  His work is phenomenal.  (Ooh, he would be great inspiration.)  Ethan spent long periods of time just sitting in my front room looking through that book.  Twice he borrowed it to take to school and share with his teachers and classmates.  So it just seemed right to get it for him (and yes I did get him typical boy stuff to go with it.)



This past summer when we were camping in Cook Forest we went to the Indian Trading post to buy the boys a souvenir.  One of the boys bought a toy bow and arrow set and the other some type of boy toy.  Ethan wanted the red looking diamond that was in the crystal case.  I have a large one in my studio and he has been admiring that for years.  His "diamond" is not as big but maybe even nicer than mine.

So this year he has his mind fixated on Lapis Lazuli.  He has been talking about it for a long, long time.    He and a friend have discussions about it.  And of course Grandma has found a nice big chunk of raw Lapis Lazuli that comes in a pouch with information about the stone.  Originally I was going to get him a polished stone but opted instead for the raw version.

He was also fixated on getting a baby chick.  He and his friend have had lots of discussions about that too.  But this is where I draw the line.  I am not buying a chicken (no matter how much I love the little guy.)

No comments: