Friday, May 8, 2009

Trail slipping


    Actually it's slip trailing, but I get tongue-tied every time I try to say it.   

    We did a pair of earrings at the retreat using the slip trailing technique.  I did slip trailing once before (it's even hard to type it) but I think I made my slip too thin when I did.    Basically the technique is one of thinning down the clay so it will drip through an empty syringe.  We were told to take the tip of the syringe off, but I found it works better for me if I leave it on.  Then it is time to just play with the drippings onto a dried piece of clay.  It's best to let the drippings run off the edge and clean the edges off when the slip has dried.  That way the pattern is more random.  Pretty simple and not much thought, but fun.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I have no trouble with the word order: I assume each way is noun first then verb. So to me, trail slipping involves taking (going along) a trail and twisting ankles and/or breaking bones -- very painful -- while slip trailing involves taking some slip and having fun with it.

And one part of that fun is seeing how the slip changes from when it's first trailed (and all bubbly) to after it's dried out (as shown in your photo here).